Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where I was 10 years ago

The 10th anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, finds me in the same place I was 10 years ago.


On Sept. 11, 2001, I was in a hospital bed amid a series of debridement surgeries that would eventually number 17 on my right ankle, which had become infected with a staph germ that eventually destroyed much of the joint's structure.


Not knowing what might be coming following the kamikaze attacks, and being 65 miles from home, I checked myself out of the hospital.


Today, I am in a hospital in Milwaukee, undergoing a complicated right knee replacement. That joint was also staph-infected back in 2001, and since then has deteriorated to the point where I either get an artificial hinge or get into a wheelchair.


To maintain the continuity of this blog, I've "worked ahead" to provide new entries every other day through at least Sept. 25.


If more than a couple of days passes after that date without anything new appearing in this space, you'll know something went very wrong.


I expect, though, to be back on duty by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment